History

The name Helliwell has been synonymous with funeral directing around Pendle for many years. The firm of Helliwell was founded in 1924 by Young Helliwell and was well-known in it’s earlier days not only in Pendle but throughout the North of England for its coaches and ‘charas’ especially during the summer wakes weeks.

Helliwells history2were originally textile manufacturers but in the 1920’s branched out into motor coaches and taxis, while Joseph Helliwell, the son of Young, commenced as a Funeral Director working from the front room of a house in Dover Street, Nelson. Then as business increased, the business moved to premises in Bradley Fold, off Bradley Road, Nelson.

In 1964, William Robert (Bob) Stott, a well-known and respected businessman, founded a joinery business which became the nationally known firm of Stotts Shopfitters. Mr Stott also had connections with undertaking and worked as a Funeral Director in Nelson. By 1970, Mr W.R. Stott had acquired the Helliwell name and brought the two companies together under one roof, sited in an old Baptist Chapel in Elizabeth Street, Nelson. This company continued to expand under the name Helliwell-Stott.

history1

In 1981, Mr Keith Lawson came to work for Helliwells and Stott and in 1990 he and his wife Marguerite acquired the firm and moved the premises from Elizabeth Street to Burnley Road. Prior to this the firm had become known as Helliwells, therefore, in memory of Mr William Robert Stott, they named the building Stott House, in order that the Stott family connection to the firm would never be forgotten.

On the 28th March 1996, W.M. Hodgson & Son joined Helliwells. Originally, Joiners and Funeral Directors, they were founded in 1926 by William Hodgson and were based in Byron Road, Colne , later moving to Stanley Street. In 1996 his son Stephen Hodgson retired from joinery side of the business but continued to arrange funerals from Stott House, Colne.